11th Harewood 10 mile Trail Race
& Harewood Hop 2 mile Junior Race / Fun Run
Under U.K.Athletics Rules UKA licence applied for
Sunday 3rd October 2010 - 2 mile race at 10:00 - 10 mile race at 10:35
YOUR RACE NUMBER
Thank you for your entry for the race - please find your number enclosed.
100 to 899 for 10 mile, 1 to 99 and 901 to 999 for 2 mile
If you are unable to run, PLEASE DO NOT GIVE YOUR NUMBER TO SOMEONE ELSE,
as this might cause incorrect allocation of prizes,
and would cause confusion if an accident or emergency were to occur.
We do offer a number swapping system - £2 before race day (email firstname.lastname@example.org) or £3 on race day (at the late entries desk).
Please write on the back of your race number, in waterproof ink,
the name and phone number of a person to contact
and any information which may be useful/essential in a medical emergency
Please pin your race number to the front of your shirt or vest.
- Harewood is at the intersection of A61 Leeds-Harrogate and A659 Wetherby-Otley.
- from Leeds, travel on the A61 towards Harrogate and turn left at the traffic lights at Harewood. After 50 yards, go through the arch, after another 50 yards turn right into the Race Car Park.
- from Harrogate, travel on the A61 towards Leeds and turn right at the main traffic lights at Harewood.
- from Otley, travel on the A659 towards Wetherby, join the A61 at the foot of Harewood Bank, travel 1 mile up Harewood Bank, then, at the main traffic lights at Harewood, turn right.
- from the A1 (North or South), turn off at the A659 intersection, travel West towards Collingham, join the A58 for approx. 200 yards, then bear right onto the A659 again, travel 5 miles to Harewood and go straight across at the traffic lights.
- NB there is a frequent bus service (route 36) between Leeds & Harrogate which passes Harewood main gates.
- There will be plenty of room for all cars in the Race Car Park, which is accessed via the main gates to the Harewood Estate.
- Please do not park in Harewood Village or on Church Lane or near the Village Hall.
- After the race, show your race number at the ticket barrier for discount rate to Harewood Grounds including Bird Garden, Planetarium and Below Stairs Exhibition (see website)
- The 10 mile race is on footpaths and bridle paths including parts of the Leeds Country Way, Dales Way and Ebor Way. The route is traffic-free, half in the Harewood House estate, half around Eccup Reservoir and passes Emmerdale Village.
- For the 10 mile race, there is a ¼ mile section of public road, approximately 2½ miles of tarmac paths and the remainder is footpaths most of which are good surfaces. 2 miles around Eccup are flat, the rest is undulating. There are 2 stiles. There is just one drinks station with water at 5½ miles. On 9 September it was quite muddy in places and it is likely that trail shoes will be best. If there is very little further rain, then studded road shoes will also be suitable. The route is not suitable for spikes nor racing flats.
- The 2 mile race / fun run is mainly on tarmac paths, the rest on good footpaths. There is one long hill! Normal trainers will be suitable.
- For both races, for the safety of yourself and other runners, no iPODs, no MP3 players, no dogs!
- Harewood Village Hall is 200 yards from the Car Park. The Village Hall is being used for race administration, refreshments (freshly-made sandwiches and hot and cold drinks available before, during and after the race) and prize-giving.
- There are no changing facilities, but bags can be left (at owner's risk). We have hired 10 portaloos for the day so these most important facilities will be plentiful!
- The Start of the 10 mile race is 300 yards from the Race Car Park and 500 yards from the Village Hall. NB it is in the same field as the car park, as it was last year (not across the access road as it was in previous years)
- The Start of the 2 mile race is 200 yards from the Car Park and 400 yards from the Village Hall. Please leave plenty of time to get to the start!
- The Finish of both races is in the same place as the start of the 2 mile race.
- Senior runners must not warm up on the tarmac access road to Harewood House, they should warm-up in the field adjacent to the car park or on the footpath extending from Church Lane to the top of the hill.
- Results will be displayed in the Village Hall as soon as possible after the finish. If you are a senior runner and require a printed copy of the results of the races, there will be envelopes at the Enquiry Desk - self-address one of these and leave £1 inside. All junior runners will receive these free of charge.
- Prizes for both events will be presented in the Village Hall - the 2 mile race at about 10:55 (i.e. while the 10 mile race is in progress) and the 10 mile race at about 12:30. Refreshments will be on sale while you wait.
- The Village Hall has recently been redecorated. Please change out of muddy shoes before coming into the Village Hall!
"HIGHWAY CODE" FOR FOOTPATHS
- Please note that some of the race is on public footpaths and bridlepaths
and although we will be putting up notices to give advance warning of our event,
walkers and horseriders have equal right to use these paths.
- Marshals will ask walkers/riders to keep to the left
- runners should keep left when meeting walkers
and overtake on the right when coming up behind walkers.
- 10 mile : Darran Bilton 52:12 (2007) and Vicky Whitehead 1:03:29 (2003)
- 2 mile : Mathew Jackson 11:13 (2004) and Laura Kirk 13:04 (2000)
Numbers of runners
- 10 mile : average 510, most 609 (2004)
- 2 mile : average 160, most 249 (2006)
- For a list of entries received to date, route maps and other information, visit the race website http://www.valleystriders.org.uk
- If you require any further information, email email@example.com. If you have no access to email or the internet, phone Bob on 0113 289 2830.
- Please let your friends know that Late Entries will be accepted on the day for both races at £2.00 extra - subject to race limit not being exceeded - see the website.
- We hope you enjoy the course and the event - Good Luck!
In support of
Lineham Farm Children's Centre
& Yorkshire Air Ambulance
Please see the website http://www.valleystriders.org.uk or contact us if you would like to receive further information about our charities or require a Sponsorship Form.