Sunday 8th November 2015
Harewood 2 mile Junior Race / Fun Run at 10:00
Harewood 10 mile and 5 mile Trail Races at 10:35
Under U.K.Athletics Rules - UKA licence 2015-20458
Note that we will be holding 1 minute's silence at the start of the 10/5 mile races at 10:35 and in the Village Hall at 11:00
YOUR RACE NUMBER
Please write on the back of your race number, in waterproof ink,
the name and phone number of a person to contact
and any information which may be useful/essential in a medical emergency
Please pin your race number to the front of your shirt or vest.
- All race numbers should be collected on the day from the Village Hall
- Numbers are colour coded - black for 10 mile, red for 5 mile, blue for 2 mile.
- We do offer a number swapping system - £2 before Friday 6 November (email firstname.lastname@example.org or £3 on race day (at the enquiries desk).
- 10 and 5 mile runners will not be allowed to change distance during the race.
- If you wish to change from 10 to 5 or vice versa before the race, this is free of charge, please go to the enquiries desk.
- Note that we have a time cut-off for the 10 mile race. Runners who take longer than 42 minutes for the first 3 miles will be asked to change to 5 miles (and will receive 5 mile mementoes)
- Use LS17 9LG for satnav, not the address of the Village Hall
- Harewood is at the intersection of A61 Leeds-Harrogate and A659 Wetherby-Otley.
- from Leeds, travel on the A61 towards Harrogate and turn left at the traffic lights at Harewood.
- ... Then after 50 yards, go through the arch, after another 50 yards, follow the marshals' directions to the car park in the field. Note you don't have to pay admission to Harewood for this
- from Harrogate, travel on the A61 towards Leeds and turn right at the main traffic lights at Harewood.
- from Otley, travel on the A659 towards Wetherby, join the A61 at the foot of Harewood Bank, travel 1 mile up Harewood Bank, then, at the main traffic lights at Harewood, turn right.
- from the A1 (North or South), turn off at the A659 intersection, travel West towards Collingham, join the A58 for approx. 200 yards, then bear right onto the A659 again, travel 5 miles to Harewood and go straight across at the traffic lights.
- NB there is a frequent bus service (route 36) between Leeds & Harrogate which passes Harewood main gates.
- There will be plenty of room for all cars in the Race Car Park, which is accessed via the main gates to the Harewood Estate.
- Please do not park in Harewood Village or on Church Lane or near the Village Hall.
- After the race please exit the field by driving down hill to the main drive and then through the Arch, do not pass by the Village Hall
- If you've already entered, we suggest you arrive at least 20 minutes before your race start to collect your number and have time to warm up.
- If you're going to enter on the day, we suggest you arrive at least 35 minutes before your race start to queue and pay and have time to warm up.
- If you're running the 10 or 5 mile, come a bit earlier and watch the 2 mile!
- We will accept all entries on the day, but if we fill the 10 mile, we will ask late arrivals to run the 5 mile.
- Harewood Village Hall is 200 yards from the Car Park. The Village Hall is being used for race administration, refreshments (freshly-made sandwiches and hot and cold drinks available before, during and after the race) and prize-giving.
- The Start of the 10 & 5 mile race is 300 yards from the Race Car Park and 500 yards from the Village Hall. NB it is in the same field as the car park (not across the access road as it was several years ago)
- The Start of the 2 mile race is 200 yards from the Car Park and 400 yards from the Village Hall. Please leave plenty of time to get to the start!
- The Finish of all races is in the same place as the start of the 2 mile race.
- Senior runners must not warm up on the tarmac access road to Harewood House, they should warm-up in the field adjacent to the car park (near the start line, away from cars)
- Results will be displayed in the Village Hall as soon as possible after the finish. If you and require a printed copy of the results of the races, there will be envelopes at the Enquiry Desk - self-address one of these and leave £1 inside.
- Prizes for all events will be presented in the Village Hall - the 2 mile race at about 10:55 (i.e. while the 10 & 5 mile race is in progress) and the 10 & 5 mile races at about 12:30. Refreshments will be on sale while you wait.
- Desks on the left hand side nearest the entrance will be for runners who have pre-entered and are collecting numbers.
- Desks on the left hand side nearest the stage will be for runners who have not pre-entered and are paying on the day.
- There will be entry forms to fill in near the stage.
- The Enquiry Desk will be half way down on the left hand side
- On the right hand side will be drinks and sandwiches served by the Lineham Farm catering team
- Also on the right hand side will be stalls selling items to support Lineham Farm and Yorkshire Air Ambulance.
- There are no changing facilities, but bags can be left (at owner's risk). We have hired 8 portaloos for the day so these most important facilities will be plentiful!
- Finally, two don'ts
- Please don't use the toilets in the Village Hall, these are for race and support staff, and also a disabled access toilet. There are lots of portaloos in the Car Park field
- Please don't go in the Hall in muddy shoes
- The 10 mile race is on footpaths and bridle paths including parts of the Leeds Country Way, Dales Way and Ebor Way. The route is traffic-free, half in the Harewood House estate, half near Eccup Reservoir and passes Emmerdale Village.
- For the 10 mile race, there is approximately 2½ miles of tarmac paths and the remainder is footpaths most of which are good surfaces. 3 miles near Eccup are fairly flat, the rest is undulating. There are no stiles. There is just one drinks station with water at 5½ miles. At the end of October it was very muddy in some places and trail-running shoes are advised will be best, but studded road-running shoes are a possible alternative. The route is not suitable for spikes nor racing flats.
- The 5 mile
race is identical to the 10 mile but without 2 loops one near Eccup and the other near Harewood Lake. There is no drinks station on the 5 mile.
- The 2 mile
race / fun run is mainly on tarmac paths, the rest on good footpaths. There is one long hill! Normal trainers will be suitable.
- For all races, for the safety of yourself and other runners, no iPODs, no MP3 players, no dogs!
10 MILE / 5 MILE RACE ROUTE SPLIT
- The 10 mile and 5 mile start together
- Just after 3 miles, the 10 mile will turn left, the 5 mile continues straight on
- Note that the 10 milers will rejoin the route at this same place having run an extra 3.5 miles
- Just after 3.5 miles (5 mile race) 7 miles (10 miles), the 10 mile will turn right, the 5 mile continues straight on
- Note that the 10 milers will rejoin the route at this same place having run an extra 1.5 miles
"HIGHWAY CODE" FOR FOOTPATHS
- Please note that some of the race is on public footpaths and bridlepaths
and although we will be putting up notices to give advance warning of our event,
walkers and horseriders have equal right to use these paths.
- Marshals will ask walkers/riders to keep to the left
- runners should keep left when meeting walkers
and overtake on the right when coming up behind walkers.
- ... except in the 2 mile, when you'll always run on the right
- ... and except in the 10 mile, for the loop after 7 miles, when you'll also run on the right
AT THE FINISH
- After crossing the line please keep in order down the funnel until your race number is taken at the end of the funnel
- Medals for 2 miles and 5 miles will be handed out at the end of the funnel
- Water will be available nearby
- Bottles of Harewood Trail Ale will be handed out at the Village Hall for 10 mile runners
- After you've finished go back and cheer your family and friends but PLEASE DO NOT CROSS THE LINE TWICE - it messes up all the results!
- Numbers of runners 10 mile : average 490, most 609 (2004)
- Numbers of runners 5 mile : average 88, most 107 (2012)
- Numbers of runners 2 mile : average 148, most 249 (2006)
- Course records 10 mile : Darran Bilton 52:12 (2007) and Vicky Whitehead 1:03:29 (2003)
- Course records 2 mile : Mathew Jackson 11:13 (2004) and Natalie Jo McGuire 12:55 (2011)
- For a list of entries received to date, route maps and other information, visit the race website http://www.valleystriders.org.uk
- If you require any further information, please email email@example.com. If you don't have access to email or the internet, phone Bob on 0113 289 2830.
- Please let your friends know that Late Entries will be accepted on the day for both races at £2.00 extra - subject to race limit not being exceeded - see the website.
- We hope you enjoy the course and the event - Good Luck!
In support of
Lineham Farm Children's Centre
& Yorkshire Air Ambulance
Please see the website http://www.valleystriders.org.uk or contact us if you would like to receive further information about our charities or require a Sponsorship Form.