We have a number of internal competitions for members to get involved in throughout the year.
All first claim members are automatically included in our Grand Prix, which runs from each December to the following November, with prize winners given out at the Christmas party. There are over 20 nominated events each year where you can pick up points, over a variety of distances and terrains, with your best 8 performances to count. With categories based upon both ability and age group, there is something for everyone!
The Grand Prix aims to:
- encourage club members to participate in a variety of local and key events during the year
- encourage club members to participate in different types of running – road, cross-country, trail, fell
- create friendly rivalry through the award of points which accumulate over events to produce a performance score at the end of the year
- encourage a good turn out of club members at these events raising prospects for improving club team placings
- create a sense of comradeship at events
- encourage improvement in personal performances
The Fell Championship is very similar to our Grand Prix. Any fell race can count, but there are also over 15 nominated races for which bonus points are awarded. Races are split between the standard fell classifications of short, medium and long, with your best 5 performances to count.
Look out for Fell Championship events on our Events page.
Our handicap races are run four times a year around Eccup Reservoir and the Harewood Estate. These are run over five miles, with runners starting at staggered times calculated from recent race results, meaning even the slowest runner has the chance of finishing first and adding their name to the Handicap Trophy. Friends, guests and newcomers are welcome to join in, and members can also pick up valuable Grand Prix points! Dates will be added to the Events page as they are confirmed.