Sent: 24 December 2009 01:09
Subject: V S Update - Events for 26 December to 5 January, quiz, The Stoop race report
Saturday 26 December - one volunteer required at Chevin Chase please
Yes that time of year has come and the Meanwood Valley Trail 2010 is about to be launched.
Please, is anyone able to hand out our newly printed entry forms at the end of the finish funnel of the Chevin Chase?
Race starts at 11:00 so you’ll need to be at the finish at about 11:30. Please email me call me or text me on 0777 5898 558 if you can help!
Good luck to all Striders running the Chevin Chase. NB if you have a number and are unable to run, let me know.
Sunday 27 December - Maybe the Club Handicap
The Club Handicap is currently ON, but please check the website after 5pm Saturday to check. On Saturday afternoon, I’ll take a look and the reservoir path, the dam, and the back road to Eccup and providing it’s not sheet ice, we’ll be running Sunday.
This will be a 5 mile run on the path round the Res,
There will be special prizes (and possibly Grand Prix bonus points) for best fancy dress.
Showers back at Leos; bring some food to share while we chat and make the draw for …
At our last committee meeting we decided we’d give priority to those who’d received rejection slips and had been members of Striders for 12 months. We have 3 applicants who fit the bill, but if any of them are injured we do need substitutes, so this is your last chance to put your name forward as we will be drawing names on Sunday 27 December. Email to London@valleystriders.org.uk. You will get an acknowledgement.
Tuesday 29 December – Tuesday Training
Will be the hill session, meet 6:45 at Leos but check website after 9pm on Monday 28 December.
Sunday 3 January - Not the
The Ringway Relay has been cancelled but some of us and some Wetherby runners too intend to run all or part of the route as a training / social run.
We’ll meet Waterside Car Park Knaresborough at 09:30 – routes of 5, 10, 15 miles are available or run the full 20½. Email me for details!
Tuesday 5 January
This will be a pie and peas night (not lasagne as previously advertised).
Please book, stating whether meat pie or vegetarian bake, whether mushy peas or baked beans, and whether you want apple pie, to email@example.com
If possible, book by Sunday 3 January 10pm so Tony has the best idea of numbers. However, additional bookings will be taken up till Monday 4 January 11am (especially for those on work email and who don’t return to work till that Monday).
I can’t tell you all the winners as some of them weren’t there to collect their awards and don’t know yet.
Alan Hutchinson presented a number of Performance Certificates. For some it was their first certificate and they got a frame too. Details of the Performance Awards are at http://valleystriders.org.uk/vsperfs.htm . This also includes a list in name order of all the road races that every Strider has run in the last 3 years. But it may be incomplete. Check your name and if there are any other races that you’ve run, let me know. That missing race or races may qualify you for a Performance Certificate.
Geoff Webster presented the Fell Championship trophy to Anthony Fryer. He, Sylvia and Paul Sanderson also, with fanfare, unveiled the brand new Women’s Fell Championship trophy which is on it way to Sara Dyer.
More awards in the next V S Update.
Here are the quiz questions from the Presentation Night. The winning score was 17/20 by two teams and it went to question 21 the tie-breaker to decide who won the first prize of a bottle of wine each.
How many can you score? Without looking on the website! Or with looking on the website since you have a disadvantage from those on Friday because you can’t ask for help from Eric or Gwil or Rachel or any of the Women’s LCW team.
1. Who were higher placed in the Peco Sport Direct League at the end of the 2008/09 season? … men / equal / women
2. Where was the first Abbey Valley Challenge of 2009 held? … Knavesmire (York) / Pocklington / Thirsk
3. How many Striders ran in the Leeds Half Marathon? … 30 / 40 / 50
4. Which race did Richard Adcock win? … Malhamdale Meander / Rombalds Stride / Trollers Trot
5. What was the winning margin for the ladies’ team in
6. What position were the men’s team? … 2nd / 3rd / 4th
7. Where were the Northern 6-stage relays held in 2009? …
Don Valley Stadium /Leeds Met Carnegie /
8. What position did the men finish? … 20 / 40 / 60
9. Why did it take Rachel Nevins 5 hours 18 minutes to run a marathon this year? … Injury during the race / a mountain marathon / wine at the drinks stations
10. How much profit was raised for charity from the Meanwood & Harewood Trail Races this year? … £2250 / £4250 / £6250
11. What position did V S finish in the National Fell Relays? … 35 / 74 / 149
12. Who was first finisher in a Striders vest in the Abbey Dash? … Gwil Thomas / Panos Aristotelous / Tim Crossland
13. How many runners did Rob Hamilton overtake in the Abbey Dash? … 400 / 1000 / 4000
14. What was the score (in round numbers) in the second Abbey Valley Challenge of 2009? … Abb 34 Val 33 / Abb 3300 Val 3400./ Abb 3100 Val 3600
15. What trophy did the combined mens/womens team win in the West Yorks XC League? … John Charles Challenge / John Smith Challenge / Sam Smith Challenge
16. Which Strider won a trophy in the Calderdale Way Relay 2009? … Geoff Webster / Holly Williams / Panos Aristotelous
17. How many marathons did Eric Green run in 2009? … 8 / 11 /14
18. How many Striders ran 8 or more Grand Prix races in 2009? … 26 / 36 / 46
19. Which was the first year of the Grand Prix? … 1982 / 1989 / 1995
20. How many new members have joined Striders in 2009? … 27 / 37 / 47
21. Tie-breaker – what is the total number of points (prior to penalties) scored in the Grand Prix this year?
Answers in next V S update
Race Report – The Stoop – from Xanthe Hannah
Six hardy Striders turned up to run The Stoop fell race on Sunday; we were also expecting Matt and Eirik but they wussed out. The course was shortened due to the snow so we ran 4.3 miles instead of 5, an out and back course with the climb all on the way out. Conditions were rather cold (see comedy photo for evidence http://www.photos-dsb.co.uk/Stoop%2009/content/Stoop_09_53_large.html) and it was very icy in places which explains my shocking time. Honest. I freely admit to walking at least 1/4 of the course (all up hill) but I did get stuck behind walkers on the first hills and it was impossible to pass them. Despite the frozen conditions I still managed to end up shin deep in bog mud as did Gareth and as the final embarrasment I was soudly beaten by a child; or maybe it was an exceptionally short lady but she definitely looked more like a child.
There was a very extensive prize list and even I came home with a box of chocs despite being way down the finishing list. They were literally throwing chocolate at us in the pub so I certainly plan to do more of their races (www.woodentops.org.uk).
Tony Mills 40.01
Andrew Thomson 40.45
Gareth Moules 41.02
Aled Greenhalgh 41.19
Xanthe Hannah 50.13
Malcolm Coles 50.57
Editor’s comments – we have Valley Striders vests, jackets and hoodies but maybe Paul Hunter needs to add burkhas to the range of V S clothing (see “comedy photo”)
To follow soon
Final positions in the West Yorks XC League, current positions in the Sport Direct XC League, and information about the National XC Championships at Roundhay.