Subject: V S Update - Xmas and New Year Diary, including help wanted, First aid, Membership sec, Annual awards, Peco race 2 results and more
Sent: 20 December 2013 13:00
Christmas and New Year Diary …
I know that many of you get these emails at work and also that some of you have a full 2 weeks holiday at Xmas, if that is the case for you (lucky people!), please especially note the actions you need to take by 5 January which is before you go back to work!
Sunday 22 December – races include “Muddy Fools” at Bodington Hall Fields, Adel Ring Road www.evensplits.co.uk
Sunday 22 December – entries open for Baildon Boundary Way at 12 noon on www.runbritain.com
Tuesday 24 December – no sessions
Thursday 26 December – no sessions, but lots of Striders expected to be running the Chevin Chase in the morning. I will have some flyers printed for the Meanwood Valley Trail race and junior races. I’m hoping someone will be able to hand out these at the finish of the race (I’m hoping to run this year, having had a number for the last 3 years but injured in 2011 and 2012). If you can hand out forms (until I arrive!) please email me or text 0777 5898 558.
Sunday 29 December – Valley Striders Xmas club races from Eccup Reservoir (path from Alwoodley Lane) – junior 1 mile at 10:45a.m and adult 5 miles handicap first runner at 11:00 – prizes for best fancy dress, then back at Leos for mince pies, Xmas cake, warm food, whatever anyone brings. We need about 5 marshals for this event and have one so far. If you can help please email me or text 0777 5898 558.
Tuesday 31 December – no sessions
… and early in the new year …
Thursday 2 January – normal sessions, NB see link on website for details of Ken & Kathy’s session
Saturday 4 January – 17 Striders running Yorkshire XC championships at Lightwater Valley
Sunday 5 January Meanwood Resolution Rush Trail Race details below
Sunday 5 January – 10pm deadlines for
· Junior pie and peas 7:15pm on 7 January email firstname.lastname@example.org note new email address – you will get a confirmation email
· Pie and peas 8:30pm on 7 January email email@example.com normal address – you will get a confirmation email
· For the pie and peas, please say whether you want meat or veggie pie, whether you want peas or baked beans and whether you want apple pie
Sunday 5 January – 10pm deadlines also for
· Entries for Northern XC Championships on Saturday 25 January at Knowsley Safari Park to firstname.lastname@example.org
· Entries for English XC Championships (“the National”) on Saturday 22 February at Wollaton Park Nottingham to email@example.com
· Registration for Peco XC race 3 (if you’re not already registered) to firstname.lastname@example.org
· Check your entry at www.valleystriders.org.uk/vsteams.htm
Tuesday 7 January – normal training sessions - and pie and peas – booking details above – note new email address for early sitting
Sunday 12 January – PECO race 3 at Middleton Park (near John Charles Stadium)
… and a few other dates planned
On Sunday 16 February we’re organising Peco Race 4, probably at Danefield on Otley Chevin but possibly somewhere else (if we can find somewhere to allow more runners and better parking). Wherever it is, we need about 10 people to help set up the course and do the race admin (accepting entries) – these people will be able to run. And we will need about 12 marshals including recorders and timekeepers. Please email email@example.com if you know you’re available on that date and say whether you will do pre-race, during-race or both).
On Saturday 12 April we’re organising the Meanwood Trail and Junior Races from Leos. Please keep the date free (and please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you know you’re available on that date).
First aid course
There is a first aid course being held at the Postal Social Club (just across the road from Kirkstall Leisure Centre) on Tuesday 28 January either from 6pm-10pm or 6:30pm-10:30pm (not yet decided). The course is being arranged by (and subsidised) by Leeds Athletics Network and we are expecting it to be accentuated towards likely athletics injuries. The cost (after subsidy) is £15, but Valley Striders will pay this if you are a regular volunteer at our events. Contact me if you are interested.
We have a vacancy for Membership Secretary. Paul White currently covers this role, but his workload has increased massively during the year with the number of special “events” that he has to pay for and then collect payment and reconcile – for example each of the relay races, WYXC/Yorks/Northern/National XC entries, cycling kit, hoodies, grand prix T-shirts.
We think that the Membership management can be separated off and are hoping someone will volunteer for this.
· Receiving new members application forms
· Logging new members on the England Athletics database
· Recording cash/cheques for new members and renewals
· Paying in cash/cheques
· Recording internet payments for new members and renewals (Paul will identify these off the bank statement and send a list)
If you would like to do this and/but would like more information, please contact me by email or on 0777 5898 558.
Note that this is not a committee post so you are not “committed” to attend our bi-monthly meetings (but you can if you want)
Were presented at the two Xmas parties.
The main trophies presented were for the VS Junior Grand Prix
· Boys winners (joint) – Joe Sherman & Callum Parton
· Girls winner – Sarah Brady
· Age-group winners and Striders who ran at least 6 races – Callum Chambers (1st Boy school year 6), Eleanor Ford (1st GSY8), Adam Mills (2nd BSY6), Ben Dyal (1st BSY7), Sam Chambers (1st BSY1), Emily Stoneman (2nd GSY4), Abigail Stoneman (1st GSY3)
We also presented trophies to some juniors who hadn’t won one of the VSGP trophies but had come to the most training sessions in the last 6 months – Finlay Chambers, Sam Hollis, Cleo Vine, Ella Blythe and Ella Hollis.
I also had some trophies from the Leeds Athletics Network Junior Race Series 2012/3. VS juniors won 3 of these – Alex Irvine (1st BSY8), Ben Dyal (1st BSY7) and Joe Sherman (1st BSY5).
We also awarded some Valley Striders performance certificates (details in next VS Update)
Finally, many thanks to
· Richard Irvine and Andy Stoneman who have coached the juniors nearly every week in 2013
· Graham Pawley, Chris Easton and Holly Williams who have supported many times, without whom we would not have been able to split into 3 separate sub groups
· Kathy and Ken for starting the beginners group without which the juniors group would not have started
· The Blythe, Chambers, Ellis, Hollis, Vine families who very kindly and very expertly organised the Xmas Party.
Many thanks to Dan and Holly who organised this year’s party and also to Alan, Geoff, John and Patrick who assisted with the presentations
· Club places at London 2014 – Alistair Smyth, Andrew Webster, Hayley Foy, Sean Fitzgerald
· Grand Prix champions – Simon Midwood & Myra Jones
· Grand Prix vets champions – Ian Sanderson (M40), Steve Webb (M50), Sue Sunderland (W35)
· Grand Prix group winners – John Shanks, Alistair Smyth, Sarah Harper
· Fell champions – John Marsham & Kim Threadgall
· Vadim Kuznetsov Trophy – best age graded performance at Leeds Half – Steve Webb – 1:21:26 aged 51 = 82.8%
· Max Jones Trophy – best age graded performance during 2013 (previous winners not eligible) – Ian Sampson – 37:22 at Abbey Dash aged 53 = 84.2%
· Also Ran Trophy (previous winners not eligible) – Roy Huggins – ran Calderdale Way, Leeds Country Way, 3 WYXC, 12 Grand Prix and 50 parkruns already in 2013 (200 in total)
· Janet Kitchen’s Horsforth Marathon Trophy – best marathon performance – Kim Threadgall – setting new course record at Yorkshireman Marathon.
Property – lost and found
Richard Clough picked up a spare coat at the Xmas Party
I have two pairs of running bottoms, one black, one grey, picked up at recent events
Claims to me please!
Meanwood Resolution Rush
From Jason Praill – race organiser
I was really pleased that 9 Valley Striders
took part in the Shadwell Shuffle trail race which I organised on Sunday 13
October. Joel & Rav gaining prizes for 2nd place.
I've got another race planned and I’d be grateful if you could make your runners aware of this event via your race calendar, newsletter or Facebook. We are inviting all of the North Leeds and Lower Wharfedale clubs. Our aim to to let as many runners get a taste for this new type of race so next summer's evening series is as competitive as it can be.
Our next race is from the Bay Horse in Meanwood, it will use the Meanwood Valley, but is different to the Meanwood Valley Trail Race that Striders organise. It'll be run on the same basis as our race at Shadwell. It would be great to maintain a presence from Valley at our third trail race.
I’ve put some details below and enclose links to website / facebook
The Meanwood Resolution Rush Trail Race – (11am Sun 5th Jan 2014)
Country Trail Races are organising a trail race at The Bay Horse PH, Parkside Road, LS6 4NB over approx 6 miles following written route instructions. Starts from 11am on Sunday 5th Jan.
Run solo, in pairs or small groups, on footpaths, tracks and road.
Entry on the day £4 attached / £6 unattached, receive a £2 drinks voucher to use in the pub on your return.
Start when you like between 11am and noon. All runs timed.
Pub serving from noon, food available, open for toilets at 11am.
Held under UKA rules. Minimum age for runners is 16 years
Junior parkrun race 4
6 Tally Diamond 9:34
9 Theo Giddings 10:15
10 Josephine Pawley 10:16
28 Daniel Fotherby 12:53
36 Billy Sawyer 13:52
55 Katy Irvine 18:38
59 Michael Fotherby 19:41
Peco Race 2
Junior years 4 to 6
3 Joe Sherman BSY6 6:18
22 Ben Redshaw BSY4 7:08
35 Alvin Udenze BSY5 7:39
38 Tally Diamond GSY4 7:43
39 Imogen Idle GSY4 7:44
50 Henry Firth BSY4 9:00
Junior years 7 to 12
2 Alex Pagdin BSY11 11:30
29 Aileen Loftus GSY10 14:31
32 Alex Irvine BSY9 14:46
33 Stephen Diamond BSY12 15:09
47 Eleanor Ford GSY9 16:48
48 Joe Irvine BSY7 16:57
54 Jordan Diamond BSY10 21:23
55 Adam Mills BSY7 21:34
8 Dan Fisher MSen 29:06
12 Andy May MSen 29:14
17 Simon Midwood MSen 29:34
24 Paul Fotherby MSen 30:03
25 Steve Webb MV50 30:18
33 Gwil Thomas MSen 30:29
47 Steve Wilkins MSen 31:18
53 Rav Panesar MSen 31:30
61 Ashley Colley MSen 31:42
62 John Shanks MSen 31:43
77 Dave Penman MSen 32:19
86 Mick Loftus MV45 32:38
88 Tony Mills MV40 32:46
89 Jonathan Smyth MSen 32:49
100 Joel Giddings MV40 33:12
101 James Tarran MV45 33:14
104 Gary Mann MSen 33:22
123 Ian Sanderson MV40 33:52
133 Paul Smith MV40 34:36
168 Andy Pagdin MV50 35:51
173 Graham Pawley MV45 35:58
207 Alistair Smyth MV55 37:12
248 Sean Fitzgerald MSen 38:56
249 Malcolm Coles MV70 38:56
270 Adam Parton MV40 39:46
279 John Hussey MV60 40:04
308 Simon Barker MV40 42:12
324 Graham Ford MV50 44:02
335 Tony Haygarth MV65 44:57
356 Paul Felton MV40 47:54
The men’s team (8 to count) were 1st, they were also 1st in race 1 and this puts them in 1st place overall
The men’s vets team (3*M40, 2*M50, 1*M60) were 4th , they were 3rd in race 1 and this puts them in 3rd place overall, but equal on points with the 2nd placed team
6 Hannah Corne FSen 34:07
7 Myra Jones FSen 34:23
57 Sarah Harper FSen 40:16
64 Liz Wood FV35 40:43
77 Chloe Hudson FSen 41:47
90 Julie Townsend FSen 42:29
96 Josie Rothera FSen 42:57
104 Dawn Parton FV35 43:30
109 Pascale Fotherby FV35 43:50
124 Gillian Felton FV45 44:41
153 Louise Jennings FV40 46:39
163 Sarah Howell FSen 47:15
The ladies’ team (5 to count) were 4th, they were 7th in race 1 and this puts them in 6th place overall
The ladies’ vets team (1*F35, 1*F45, 1*F55) were 10th, they were 9th in race 1 and this puts them in 9th place overall
Best wishes to you all for Xmas and New Year, hope to see many of you on 26th and/or 29th and/or at Leos on 7 January