Subject: V S Update - Leeds Country Way relay; Peco relays and presentations; Food; Yoga; Roundhay parkrun; Country Trail Races; Club Membership fees; Results from Trollers, Harewood and Trafford
Leeds Country Way
It’s not often that a race 5 months ahead takes top billing, but Alex has spotted that this year the Leeds Country Way Relay is on September 6th which is the same date as the Wetherby 10k.
She says “… so please don't enter Wetherby if you want to be part of a Valley Strider team for the LCW.....and why wouldn't you? ;-)”
For those new to Valley Striders and any others who missed the pre-race “advertising” we did last summer, in summary
· The Leeds Country Way relay is 60 miles, run in teams of 12, with pairs running approximately 10 miles each
· It starts and finishes in Garforth, taking in Stanley (near Wakefield), Morley, Thornbury (the Leeds-Bradford Road), Golden Acre Park and Scarcroft.
· The majority of the route is on good off-road paths, but there are some short sections of road and a few muddy fields for variety.
· For the last 2 years we’ve had 6 teams, i.e. 72 runners, more than any other club.
· Our sixth team is simply “selected” on a first come first served basis, if you fancy doing it and can manage 10 miles (even if you may have to walk up some of the steeper hills) you can run for Valley Striders
· In 2013, we won the men’s, ladies and vets trophies
Peco Relays Sunday 15 March
· The final event in the Peco XC will be on Sunday 15 March with the relay races and presentations of the trophies (we have 5, possibly 7, team trophies to collect and 10 individual trophies too).
· This will be at Pendas Fields / Crossgates / Manston (the same venue as race 1) and starts off with junior relays at 10:00, then senior relays at 11:00, junior presentations at 13:30, senior presentations at 14:00.
· Ideally to save admin, PLEASE MAKE UP YOUR OWN TEAMS OF 3!! See the website www.pecoxc.co.uk for categories.
· However, if you are looking to make up a team, use the email@example.com email and I’ll try and match you up!!
· Currently team Pagdin (Andy & Sarah) are looking for 1 more Strider and Joe Sherman is looking for 2 more junior runners
· Even if you’re not running the relays, please can as many Striders as possible come to the presentations (plenty of time to get in a long training run and then come across for food).
· Last but not least, Mark Hetherington has asked all clubs for some volunteers to marshal, if you can help, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Food (and MVT meeting) on Tuesday 17 March
· Pie and peas, usual arrangements apply, email email@example.com (for 7:15pm) firstname.lastname@example.org (for 8:30pm) choosing meat or veggie pie, peas or baked beans, and whether you want apple pie (terms and conditions on home page of website).
· Also a meeting at 8:45pm to discuss the Meanwood Valley Trail Race – all welcome.
Yoga for Runners – Tuesday 24 March – from Liz Wood
· Liz says “I will be leading a free, 20 minute 'yoga for runners' session at Leo's after our Tuesday night run on 24th March. It will be fun, informal and an opportunity for you to experience the benefits of yoga first-hand and ask me any questions about your own training. Bring along an exercise/yoga mat if you have one (I have a small number of spares) and wear comfortable clothing.”
Roundhay parkrun – Saturday 28 March
· On Saturday 28 March it will be the juniors from Roundhay junior parkrun who will be race directing, recording and marshalling at the 5k “normal” parkrun. Look out Alex & co, there are some young people after your jobs.
· And while we’re on Roundhay parkrun, note that the Roundhay parkrun is the first race in the 2015 Leeds Race Series, run any Roundhay parkrun from 28 February to 28 March inclusive, your best time to count.
· The Leeds Race Series consists of 23 races in Leeds, 18 of them organised by local clubs and 5 parkruns. For more information, see www.leedsathletics.net and/or the facebook group www.facebook.com/groups/leedsraceseries
Country Trail Race – Friday 3 April
Jason Praill’s first country trail race for 2015 is on Friday 3 April from the Shoulder of Mutton, Kirkby Overblow
· Start time any time between 11:00 and 12:00
· Run on your own, with a partner or in a small group
· You’re given a set of route instructions at the start
· Route of approx. 6 miles along country footpaths
· Your entry fee of £5 (affiliated runners) also includes a £2 voucher for drink in the pub afterwards
· Read more at http://www.countrytrailraces.co.uk/
Club Membership / England Athletics Affiliation
· The new England Athletics year starts on 1 April.
· We will pay affiliation fees for all Striders over 16 years old who are current paid up running members i.e. who have paid membership fees since August 2014.
· We won’t pay affiliation fees for anyone in arrears, junior members, social members and cycling-only members
· Without EA affiliation you can’t claim £2 off race fees, nor run as a Valley Striders in any team races (does not apply to juniors).
· So if you’re in any doubt, please check www.valleystriders.org.uk/vsmemreg.htm
· P.S. If you’re in arrears for any team fee or the Xmas social, we’ll also delay your affiliation until your arrears are paid (you will have had a reminder recently)
Thanks to Simon Redshaw for sending these.
20 Paul Smith 03:30:12
25 Steve Webb 03:34:11
41 Alistair Smyth 03:49:44
44 Simon Redshaw 03:51:59
55 Ian Sanderson 03:55:16
63 Joel Giddings 03:58:19
77 Richard Adcock 04:08:13
As the distance is 25 miles it has been included in “Any Other Marathon” category in the Grand Prix.
The Grand Prix tables have now been updated on the website. Andy Pagdin is the first Strider to qualify for his 2015 Grand Prix T-shirt by running 8 races. John Hobbs is currently overall leader.
Harewood House 10k
Thanks to Emma Steel for sending these
Gun time/pos Chip time/pos
Roy Huggins 00:42:33 46 00:42:31 45
Aileen Loftus 00:49:08 214 00:49:05 265
John McDermott 00:54:06 461 00:52:01 425
Esther Hollis 00:56:09 585 00:53:00 501
Emma Steel 00:56:19 592 00:53:06 510
Madeleine Illingworth 00:58:13 726 00:57:37 833
Paul Kelly 01:00:33 909 01:00:11 1043
Lindsey McDermott 01:09:26 1463 01:07:25 1491
Sarah Ellis 01:10:33 1533 01:06:39 1449
Jayne Sexton 01:12:37 1610 01:11:03 1634
NB congratulations to 2nd claim Strider Charlie Wills, who was first lady in 40:33. There were 4 pages of pictures and a report in this week’s Wetherby News and Harrogate Advertiser.
Just one Strider here, Paul Fotherby, who finished in a gun time 34:59, chip time 34:57
Of the 810 finishers, 7 broke 30 mins and 80 broke 33 mins, so looks like a good place to go for a PB