Subject: V S Update - Diary; Tuesday food and Harewood meeting; Yorks vets marshals needed; BMW runners needed; Officials course; Results from Ilkley, Kirskstall and Stockholm
Sent: 31 May 2015 00:17
· Saturday 30 May – Templenewsam parkrun CANCELLED (due to Race For Life)
· Sunday 31 May - Templenewsam junior parkrun CANCELLED (due to Race For Life)
· Tuesday 2 June – Normal training sessions, followed by pie and peas, also meeting to discuss Harewood Trail Race (see below)
· Wednesday 3 June - Otley Chevin EOD VSFC and LRS
· Saturday 6 June - Wharfedale off-road half VSGP – ENTRIES CLOSED
· Saturday 6 June – Templenewsam parkrun in LRS
· Sunday 7 June - Templenewsam junior parkrun in LJRS
· Tuesday 9 June – 6pm sessions at Grammar School at Leeds; 7pm sessions at Leeds Met Headingley
· Wednesday 10 June - Otley 10 VSGP and LRS
· Sunday 21 June - Pudsey 10k VSGP and LRS; also Pudsey Junior Races VSJGP and LJRS
· Sunday 21 June - Settle Hills EOD VSFC
· Sunday 21 June - Triathlon Pink (ladies only) CANCELLED
· Tuesday 23 June – Yorkshire Veterans Race at Leos – 40 marshals needed – see below
· Sunday 28 June – Bradford Millennium Way Relay – see below
· Sunday 28 June - A Day in the Lakes Triathlon (middle distance) - trihard events - VSTGP
· Tuesday 30 June - Jane Tomlinson 5k canal race Methley LRS
· Wednesday 1 July - Hyde Park Summer mile VSGP and LRS
· Wednesday 1 July - Hyde Park Summer half mile VSJGP and LJRS
· Sunday 5 July - Eccup 10 and Junior races VSGP and LRS
· Sunday 5 July - Eccup Junior races VSJGP and LJRS
· Tuesday 7 July – “Jane Tomlinson” Canal Race at Methley LRS and Junior race LJRS
· Saturday 11 July - Addingham Gala Fell Race VSFC
· Tuesday 14 July – provisional date (AMENDED) for VS summer 1 mile and handicap races
· Sunday 6 September – save the date - Leeds Country Way Relay – 72 Striders wanted to make 6 teams
· More dates on www.valleystriders.org.uk/vsdates.htm Please email me with other key dates that you think should be included.
· VSGP – Valley Striders Grand Prix
· VSJGP – Valley Striders Junior Grand Prix
· VSFC – Valley Striders Fell Championship
· VSTGP – Valley Striders Triathlon Grand Prix
· LRS – Leeds Race Series – see www.leedsathletics.net
· LJRS – Leeds Junior Race Series – see www.leedsathletics.net
Tuesday 2 June – training and food
Normal summer training sessions, followed by pie and peas, usual arrangements apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org (for 7:15pm) email@example.com (for 8:30pm) choosing meat or veggie pie, peas or baked beans, and whether you want apple pie. Book by 10pm Sunday 31 May.
Tuesday 2 June 8:45pm – meeting to discuss Harewood Trail Race
Please note that the date of the race has not been decided – this will be the first item on the agenda.
Thanks to Dan Murray who has volunteered to be Chief Marshal, but only if he has an assistant so that roles can be swapped for the next race. Also thanks to John Batchelor who has volunteered to jointly lead the Promo Team until baby Batchelor is imminent. We have had one other volunteer for a marshal team leader role.
Other than that, no-one has volunteered for any specific roles, so to recap, we need
· race director,
· assistant race director (admin and finance)
· chief marshal
· entries manager
· results team leader
· promo and prizes team (2)
· start and finish team leader
· eight section leaders
· deputies / assistants to all of the above
Please come along to the meeting if you will volunteer for one of these positions. If you would (a) like to volunteer but can’t make the meeting or (b) are considering volunteering but need more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Tuesday 23 June – Yorkshire Veterans race at Leos
This will be the seventh year that we have hosted this event. We have a 2 lap course that does a big circuit of the woods around Leos see http://valleystriders.org.uk/Yorks_vets_2014.jpg . Usually there are about 250 runners and we receive £1 per runner, which after costs of consumables (plastic cups, red and white tape etc) gives us a profit for club funds of over £200.
Mick Tinker and myself will be setting up the course during the afternoon but we then need
· 4 people (we have 3 so far) at 6pm to help butter and fill sandwiches and/or bring cakes, they could run the race if they want
· 4 senior marshals (we have 3 so far but 2 would like to run) at 6pm to run round and check the marking and then to take the marshals to their places at 6:50pm.
· 6 people (we have 4 so far) at 6pm to help with car parking, they may then run the race or marshal on the route
· 30 marshals (we have 19 so far but 2 would like to run) at 6:50pm (it’s the usual Striders technique of marshalling every corner to avoid problems if pieces of tape are deliberately moved)
· 6 people (we have 2 so far) at 7:15pm – timekeepers, recorders and funnel marshals for the finish line
· A few people (we have none so far) to tidy up afterwards, they could have run the race
Please email email@example.com if you’re available to help, let us know what job you’d like to do and what time you’re available to arrive, also whether you’d like to run if we have sufficient marshals. (Note that although it is a veterans race, under-35’s may run as “guests”).
Names so far are at www.valleystriders.org.uk/vsmarshals.htm
Thank you in anticipation!
Bradford Millennium Way relay (nowhere near Bradford) on Sunday 28 June
We now have 8 names – 4 men and 4 women – so need one more of each for a mixed team.
See previous email www.valleystriders.org.uk/up150516.htm for details. See http://johncarr5k.org.uk/site/bradford-millennium-way-relay/ for race information and route
Please reply by Tuesday 2 June at the very latest so I can decide whether it is worth entering a team.
Endurance Officials Course at Leeds Met Headingley on Sunday 19 July
Learn about course design, risk assessment, course set up, marshalling, etc. Full day course 09:00 to 16:00 by England Athletics tutor. Your course fee paid by Valley Striders, all you need to do is give up your Sunday. I went on the risk assessment module a few years ago and found it very interesting and useful. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to go and/or need more information. NB may sell out fast as this is the first course of this type in Leeds for over 3 years. We have one VS member signed up so far.
Membership / EA registration cards
If you are an adult running member and have joined or renewed since 1 September 2014, I’d expect you to get yours by the end of May. If you don’t receive one, please check your status at www.valleystriders.org.uk/vsmemreg.htm and then email me email@example.com.
Note that we don’t register junior members under 15 with EA, nor do we register cycling-only members. Those of you who are first claim running members of other athletics clubs should also receive your cards soon assuming your first claim has registered you with EA.
RESULTS and REPORTS
Ilkley Trail Race
10 Daryl Hibberd 0:43:40 100
19 Steve Webb 0:45:36 99
20 John Shanks 0:45:50 98
24 Jon Pownall 0:46:36 97
31 Mick Loftus 0:47:13 96
65 Paul Kaiser 0:49:38 94
69 Myra Jones 0:49:53 93
83 Mark Woodhead 0:51:31 92
87 Mike Furby 0:51:54 91
148 Alan Hutchinson 0:56:21 90
154 Samantha Harris 0:56:51 89
163 Sarah Shanks 0:57:37 88
166 Mike Robins 0:57:46 87
184 Alistair Smyth 0:58:46 86
196 Liz Wood 0:59:53 84
210 Bob Jackson 1:01:40 83
216 Steph Gledhill 1:02:25 82
234 Sharon Kaiser 1:04:26 81
327 Rebecca Bibby 1:19:17 80
Grand Prix Race 1 at Honley (March 29)
27 Paul Smith 47:33
55 women and 118 men ran
Grand Prix race 2 at Kirkstall (May 26)
55 Andy Pagdin 43:25
11 Rachel Mackie 44:01
15 Sarah Grant 45:29
There were 105 women, 154 men and 14 guests
Race 3 will be at Lythe near Whitby on 7 June, race 4 at Leos on 23 June.
See www.yvaa.org for all Yorkshire vets information.
Stockholm Marathon (from Paul Smith)
So today I ran the Stockholm Marathon. Nice course although quite "rolling" in nature and a tough bridge climb, average organisation, rubbish t-shirt and absolutely hideous horrible weather (course was flooded in places and cold cold cold). The finish in the 1912 Olympic Stadium was good tho as were the free beer, hotdogs and other stuff. 6/10 mainly ruined by the weather. I'm blaming that for my time of 3:16 which I'm rather disappointed with.
Bob says “I’ll give you some Grand Prix points in the Any Other Marathon category to cheer you up. You’re currently ranked 8th in that category”.