Subject: V S Update - IMPORTANT changes to dates/locations, Tuesday sessions, VS BBQ more information, VS needs you for Leeds Country Way, Officials Course, Yorkshire Vets thanks
Sent: 02 July 2015 00:43
CHANGES OF DATES/LOCATIONS
This Thursday (July 2) club session is an Otley Chevin tour, meet Surprise View car park at 6:45pm
The next Junior Mile & Club Handicap will be on Tuesday 14 July – this replaces the usual track sessions
The final order date for the VS Summer BBQ is Wednesday 8 July 12 noon – more details below
Tuesday sessions in July
· Tuesday 7 July – Normal summer training sessions, followed by pie and peas, usual arrangements apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org (for 7:15pm) email@example.com (for 8:30pm) choosing meat or veggie pie, peas or baked beans. Book by 10pm Sunday 5 July. Just a reminder for the Harewood mini-committee to come along if available.
· Tuesday 14 July - VS Junior 1 mile at 6:15pm; VS Summer Trail Handicap (approx. 5 miles) at 6:45pm, see the home page of www.valleystriders.org.uk for more details
· Tuesday 21 July – locations to be confirmed
Saturday 11 July - V S Summer Barbecue (from Dan, Becky and Cloughy)
Following the success of last year's Tour De France themed BBQ at Leos Rugby Club, we're doing it again!
In advance of the food and drink:
The cyclists’ plan is to go out on a number of different rides all meeting up at an agreed point then cycling back. All rides will set off from the Thomas Osborne and 10 Warrior Points are available for anyone who joins one of the rides no matter the distance. Keep an eye out on Facebook for more details.
For the runners we have 2 runs to celebrate the reopening of the dam at Eccup. Both runs will set off at 5pm running the first few km together then splitting for a slightly longer route 11.5km http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/735718177 or a slightly shorter route 9.5km http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/735710627 to get back for the 6.30 kick off!:)
An event has been created on Facebook.
The party will commence with games starting from 6.30pm on the rugby pitches before we then eat a French themed BBQ at 8pm and enjoy drinks late in to the evening. As with last year, we have a bouncy castle booked to entertain the kids.
The event is open to all Valley Striders members, partners and children and the cost will be £10.50 per adult and £6.50 for kids.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your booking. When ordering please let us know if you require a vegetarian option. You can check your booking has been received (and is correct) at www.valleystriders.org.uk/vssocial.htm but please allow a couple of days after placing your order. Any queries, please email the bbq address.
We will need money paying in advance to secure your place. Online banking should be paid to sort code 53-70-00, a/c number 72143851 (note that this is NOT the normal VS account), reference to include your name and the word “BBQ". Or write a cheque payable to “Valley Striders” (writing “BBQ” on the back) and send to John Shanks
Look out for more news on the VS Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/291402584033 or on the VSCC Facebook page
In fact, I’ve just looked and found that we now have live music! A trio of musicians, including Strider Tony Haygarth, will be playing two sets - all included within the price of your ticket!
Leeds Country Way Relay – Sunday 6 September
The Leeds Country Way is a 60 mile footpath making a circuit of Leeds. The official footpath route is totally within Leeds City boundary but the Relay Race follows the original route which overflows into Wakefield for about 5 miles (but very scenic it is).
Some people have run the whole 60 mile route, but the Relay divides the route into 6 chunks each approximately 10 miles. Teams run in pairs, so 12 runners per team.
For the last 2 years we’ve had 6 teams – can we do this again? And in 2013 we got a grand slam of trophies – mens, womens and vets – can we do this again?
We’ll definitely pick 3 teams on merit, but our policy on team selection is that the first 24 names who apply are guaranteed places in the “E” or “F” team (or higher if selected).
All we expect is that (a) you are free on 6 September (b) you are capable of running 10 miles (we will let you walk up steep hills) and (c) you’ll do at least one “recce” run before 6 September so you’ll know where you’re going on the day.
More dates including 2 more relays
· Sunday 5 July - Eccup 10 and Junior races VSGP and LRS - only 62 places left at time of writing, likely to fill before race day, see www.racebest.co.uk
· Sunday 5 July - Eccup Junior races VSJGP and LJRS www.racebest.co.uk
· Tuesday 7 July – “Jane Tomlinson” Canal Race at Methley LRS and Junior race LJRS http://rothwellharriers.org.uk/
· Saturday 11 July - Addingham Gala Fell Race VSFC
· Sunday 12 July – Pool 5k Race (Chris Leggatt memorial run) (Chris was a member of Valley Striders) 3pm, part of “Pool Feast” starting at 1pm. Last year the winning man and woman were both VS.
· Tuesday 14 July – VS summer 1 mile and handicap races – details to follow
· Friday 17 July - Washburn Relay – teams of 3 - http://otleyac.org.uk/washburn-valley-relay/ - make up your own teams (post on Facebook if you need 1 or 2 more to make a team). Entries have to be sent via clubs, and I have these, so just email me if you want a form. The closing date is 11 July unless the entry limit (60 team) is reached earlier.
· Wednesday 22 July - Golden Acre Relay – teams of 3 - http://www.abbeyrunners.co.uk/golden-acre-relay/ - make up your own teams (post on Facebook if you need 1 or 2 more to make a team). Enter on the night, invent a team name but ideally include “Valley” and/or “Striders” in the name
Officials course – Sunday 19 July
A few weeks ago, in a VS Update, I mentioned the Officials Course – for race marshals and team leaders. This course is definitely going ahead at Leeds Beckett University Headingley Campus Indoor Sports Centre.
Here’s the course information. http://www.englandathletics.org/courses-and-bookings/officials---level-2-endurance--risk-assessment-22
Valley Striders will pay your fee. Email back if you’re interested. Closing date is around 8 July.
West Yorkshire School Games – Tuesday 7 July
I’ve been emailed by West Yorkshire Sport looking for volunteers to help at the WY School Games at Leeds Met Headingley on Tuesday 7 July. Email back if you’re interested and I’ll send on the information
Yorkshire Veterans Race at Leos
Thank you to all the Striders who turned out to support this race
A few comments from Twitter (at least one of them may have been sampling the beer before the race)
· Well @YVAA_plus35s Alwoodley race done, great marshalling as usual from @ValleyStriders managed not to fall over this year which is a bonus.
· Lovely sunshine, lovely race at @YVAA_plus35s this evening. Huge thanks to the many, many cheery marshals from @ValleyStriders
· There were so many marshals that I found myself singing to them: “Many marshals to cross…” Sorry @ValleyStriders , I was tired.
Particular thanks to
· Tony, John and Pat who did ALL the catering.
· Carole Schofield who brought some wonderful cakes. One tray had an iced letter on each cake, which when I got there said ORKSHIRE 2015 E VET, I can work out that someone had already eaten a “Y” and an “S”, but if you know what the “E” was part of, let me know.
· Mick Tinker who came out with me for a walk to recce and sign the route, then a few days later did a second lap to replace the signs that had been torn down, and then did the route set up with me on the afternoon (together with Kathy Kaiser)
· And the 40 other Striders on car parking, route checking, marshalling, tail running, and results recording.
· And the 4 Striders who stayed behind to clear up (and I’m not going to name who swept the floor)
· PS is anyone free for 20 mins this coming Tuesday to sort and fold the bibs so they are neat and ready for the next race?
We should receive around £180 profit for club funds
Race Results and Reports
I need to send this now, so results and reports are held over to the next edition.